Your Library Card
Policies and procedures about the library card
- Who is eligible to get a library card? Residents of Guttenberg, Iowa and rural Clayton County, Iowa are eligible to apply to have a free library card. The cities of Osterdock, IA and North Buena Vista, Iowa have contracts with our library and their citizens are eligible to have a free library card. Out-of-state residents who live in Guttenberg temporarily may be eligible to pay for a temporary membership. Residents of other cities in Iowa may obtain a library card through the Open Access Program.
- How do I apply for a card? To apply for a library card, you need a photo ID and proof of current address. Proof of current address may be a government-issued ID with current address, utility bill, imprinted address on checks, property tax statement, canceled mail postmarked within the last 2 weeks, or a printed lease showing your address. Application forms are located at the librarian's desk.
- What are the responsibilities of the card holder? The cardholder promises to be responsible for all materials borrowed the the account, and will pay for all fines or fees on the account. If you lose your library card, you must immediately contact the library. If your phone number or address changes, you must notify the library. You must obey all the policies, rules, and regulations of the library. Do not loan your library card to anyone else.
- How can I use my library card?
- Checking out books and other materials. Most items circulate for 2 weeks.
- Loan limits - Loan limits vary by type of material and by whether or not you are a new patron. New patrons have conditional status, and have a limit of 3 total items for the first 6 months. The media limits apply to all patrons: 3 videos per family or household and 5 music CDs per family or household.
- Please return items to the librarian's desk. Books and magazines may be returned through the book return at the front door of the library. Videos, audios, or music CDs may be placed in the media slot in the book drop, however it is better to return these items at the circulation desk if possible, to ensure there is no damage to the items.
- You may renew items if they are not on reserve by someone else. You may renew online through our online catalog page, by email, or phone. Our number is 563-252-3108.
- Patrons will be reminded if their items are overdue. Fines are five cents per day overdue. If items are lost or damaged, patrons must pay for their replacement.
- Patrons may ask the library staff to reserve an item for them. Reserves may also be placed through the online catalog system. Log in with your library card number and phone number.
- You may use your library card to access and log in to online resources from our library's website: www.guttenberg.lib.ia.us